This is a sweet pastry that can be used for making many delicious treats, but in this instance we are using it to make mince pies.
So to make the pastry, here is what you need:
200g Plain Flour (sifted)
50g Caster Sugar
1 Free Range Egg (beaten)
Pinch of salt
- First sift your flour into a good size mixing bowl
- Then add the butter, break it into smaller pieces and work it into the flour with your hands for a few minutes until the butter is incorporated into the flour
- Make a well in the flour/butter mix and add the sugar, salt and the beaten egg
- Starting with a fork, mix the ingredients for several minutes (you may prefer to use a spatula after a while) until it is a nice, smooth dough
- Before being used the sugar pastry must be put in the fridge for two hours, this firms the pastry up – just cover in clingfilm
Et voila! Ready to be used.